Friday, October 31, 2008

Ground Zero Report - Day 38 - Part 2 [10.31]

Today, Friday, I felt like I was standing at the foot of the cross. For most of the hour that I was at the vigil, I stood all by myself and held a sign. David and another man walked back and forth with their signs, but there I stood, alone. People walked by me and shook their heads, some muttering things I couldn't hear. Very few looked me in the eye. I watched as teenage girls, most with boyfriends, walked into the clinic and others walked out. My heart broke as I watched one girl come out alone, face ashen. I prayed for Doris as she watched for women with whom she could speak before they walked into the clinic, prayed for courage, wisdom and protection for her. A couple of times as young girls walked into 65 Bank, Doris looked across the street in my direction and we shared knowing looks. I watched as people chatted with the security guard and mocked the people who were walking around the block praying the rosary. I thought of Jesus on the cross - alone, mocked, people passing by and shaking their heads, treating Him as something to be despised. For a brief moment, I felt like I knew just a tiny glimpse of Jesus' pain. But Sunday's comin', like Fr. Frank Pavone has reminded us. Sunday's comin'. We need to be people of hope, and not ever stop praying for the end to abortion. Our work isn't done after 40 Days for Life. It has just begun. - Sue A.

No comments: