Friday, October 17, 2008

Ground Zero Report - Day 23 - Part B [10.16]

On Wed 15 Oct, I arrived at the site at 2:40 and what I saw were people praying peacefully. One lady made a statement that the police did not want us to sit on the cement planter but other than that all was normal.

I saw two young men sitting on the bench in front of 65 Bank. One approached us and spoke to a couple who were praying; he left with two pamphlets. Upon returning to his companion he handed a pamphlet over. The companion dropped it to the ground but it was picked up and handed back, only to be methodically torn in two dropped again and this time repeatedly spit upon, stomped upon and used as an ashtray. Meanwhile the first young man read the information and then placed the paper on the bench. A short time later a young woman came out of 65 Bank and joined the two men. This woman kept looking at me and even though I did not make eye contact, I couls see her looking each time my eyes raised from prayer. I was holding the sign that reads "pray to end abortion" I intentionally did not invite her to approach me because the young man who appeared to be hostile was there with her and I did not feel it was safe for me to make contact. Remember I had no idea what had happened just a short time prior to my arrival. In the end the woman re entered 65 Bank St. and the men walked away. I just kept praying to the angels and to our Lady of Guadalupe for the safety of any baby that was at risk. I had the sense that another woman may have been inside the facility and those I saw were companions. One of the men and the woman I saw were wearing sweat pants with the letters SWL on the hind end. I believe these letters refer to a high school in Orleans. I had to leave at 3:30 so I did not see what happened after that. I can say that what I witnessed was deeply disturbing. I left the site feeling numb. This is a reminder that as John keeps telling us to keep praying and to have sacramentals with us at all times. Yes, we are making a difference. -
Jennifer S.

No comments: