Monday, November 10, 2008

Ground Zero Report - Nov. 7.08

I arrived around 8:30 this morning and Noreen was already there praying. My prayer was that today, I wanted to be the Lord's mouthpiece. I asked him to show me when to speak, and give me the words to say, and also when to remain silent. Soon Nicole stopped by with some flyers for me to hand out. It started out a typical day at the mill. Some women took the flyers, some didn't. A mother rushed her teenage daughter past me. The girl seemed distraught. They wouldn't even acknowledge me. It didn't seem to me like I was having any effect. Then the superintendent of the building came out and asked me to stop giving the flyers to the people entering the building because his tenants "in the place where this stuff is happening" were getting upset. I asked what he meant by "stuff". He couldn't say the word, it seemed. I replied it was fully within my rights to do so and that I had no intention of stopping. He replied "don't make me call the cops" and left. I was able to approach a young woman going in, she took the flyers and talked with me for a while. She said that she wasn't even speaking to her parents right now, so there was no support for her. Her boyfriend had taken her there and she kept looking over to where he was standing in front of McDonald's. She was hesitant, but still went in, by herself. The superintendent came back again a little while later, with the same request as before, which I politely declined. He then called someone, and a man who looks like he might be manager of the building came over and said if I didn't stop, he'd call the police because I was loitering. I responded as I had the first time with the superintendent. Another woman went in, was very polite when I handed her the flyers, but went right in anyway. Close to noon, as the Friday marchers (with the banners) were beginning their prayer, the superintendant came back and insisted that I stop handing out the flyers. He said he had no problem with me standing there to pray, but no more flyers. Again I declined. He continued insisting. Remembering my prayer earlier in the morning, I just said that I wouldn't stop handing out flyers and then remained silent. So he called the police. When the police came over, I had the same conversation I had with the other four officers back on October 3rd, which was that they confirmed my right to stand there and distribute flyers, as long as I don't go past the door, at which point I could be charged with trespassing. I told them I had no intention of going into the building. They were nice to me. This time, though, they asked me for ID. Unfortunately, during this time, the young woman I had spoken to earlier came out, and I missed the chance to speak to her again. Throughout the hours I was there today, there was always someone there praying from across the street. Let's keep this up! I'm sure flyers alone don't have this effect. Thanks to all the prayer warriors for their support. I was greatly encouraged. - Doris

No comments: