Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dispatch from Ground Zero - Nov.14

I arrived at the mill around 8:40 am and Maggie was already there. She told me she had already seen three women go in, one before 8:00 am. Close to 9 am, the superintendent who called the police last week walked by me, on his way to work. A few minutes later, he came out and said the tenants had complained. He again asked me to stop giving brochures to the people going into the building. He was quite hostile, though he said he wouldn't call the police today, but that the tenants might. He also reminded me of the attack on one of the vigilers during the 40 Days Vigil and said that he was "concerned" the same might happen to me. "You never know what one of those angry boyfriends might do", he said. He claims to be a Christian. I pray that God will take the blinders off so he can really see what he's defending. It was really disheartening to see an East Indian family go in, a couple with a 2 year old boy and a baby. They went in to the mill with their children. The mother took the brochure from me, but they went in anyway. I had to wonder if this wasn't a gender selection abortion. By the time I left, around 2 pm, I had counted at least 10 women going in to the mill. - Doris

No comments: